1. Eat a healthy diet and supplement as needed – A diet rich in nutrients is critical to the development of your baby, especially in the first trimester. Sometimes it is difficult to get all your nutritional needs from foods, especially if you are experiencing nausea. A healthy diet with some supplements can help you maintain a healthy pregnancy and help the health of your baby in many ways.
2. Floss and maintain good oral hygiene – The benefits of good oral hygiene are amazing! Flossing can help reduce gum disease, reduce systemic inflammation and can actually help reduce the risk of preterm labour. It’s also a good idea to visit your dentist or oral hygienist to get a thorough cleaning.
3. Avoid plastics – You have probably heard of BPA, a chemical found in plastics that can affect your hormone levels. Other plastics also contain harmful chemicals that can affect your pregnancy, even “BPA-free” plastics. Avoid eating and drinking from plastic containers while pregnant. Also consider other hidden sources of harmful plastics: most store receipts, canned foods, most disposable coffee cups.
4. Consume adequate levels of vitamin D – Maintaining appropriate vitamin D levels can have a HUGE impact during pregnancy. Having appropriate levels during pregnancy can reduce the risk of gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, even preterm labour and risk of needing a c-section. Talk to your healthcare provider about how much vitamin D is the right amount to take.
5. Maintain a healthy vaginal ecology – The vaginal canal contains its own ecosystem and this plays an important role in pregnancy. Maintaining a healthy amount of good bacteria can help reduce the risk of vaginal infections and also reduce the risk of preterm birth. It can also help to prevent allergies in your baby.
6. Seek the advice of a Pelvic Health Physiotherapist – They can answer questions about preparing for labour and delivery, teach you postural awareness and the correct way to perform a pelvic floor contraction aka “kegels”. Prevention is key in reducing injury to your pelvic floor.
Naturopathic Consultations During Pregnancy
Having a naturopathic doctor to coach you through a healthy pregnancy is a great way to improve your health and your baby’s health.